Sweethearts

Scott gets hair

My boys

Monday, July 21, 2008

Long Tough Days

It has been several days since I have posted. These days have been difficult and I haven't known what to say. On Wednesday and Thursday Dr. Mangus confirmed that the areas that didn't show cancer while in surgery were actually cancerous. This was difficult to hear as it means there is no longer any chance of a transplant in Scott's future. It also means we don't know what the future holds. Dr. Mangus stated before surgery that Scott was one in 1000 to be here and doing so well following a Klatskin tumor. He now is unsure what the status of the cancer is. It is considered stage 4, but he thinks it may be a very slow growing form. He also stated he isn't sure if his body is somehow keeping the cancer in check. We did consult an oncologist today with no information. I really don't like talking to them, because they don't have any good answers.
Obviously, our number one focus now is to get Scott well enough to leave the hospital and come home soon. Now he is doing pretty good, but awaiting the results of a CT scan because of some severe bloating today.
Thanks so much for all the prayers and kind thoughts and words. They mean so very much to us. We love all of you. Please include him in your prayers for a speedy recovery and return home to be near those we love so very much. Also, please include a prayer for our sweet grandson Taylor Scott Gifford (10 months) who is also hospitalized back home for pneumonia. Utah seems so very far away right now.

I am not sure if or when I will post as it has been much more difficult than I had hoped it would be. Thanks for your patience.
Love,
Scott, Susan and family

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Yes, this news comes with a heavy heart. We will all keep you in our prayers! I pray that Scott will make a speedy recovery and that you will be guided to know how to proceed and that you will be blessed with the best outcome possible.

I did a quick search on the clinicaltrials.gov website. There is one trial for Klatskin’s tumors enrolling at UCSF that involves cyberknife treatment and chemotherapy. I don’t know if Scott would be eligible, or if you would be interested. I hope that the oncologists will be guided in how to proceed to help Scott.

May God bless you all!

Take care,
Ann (Gifford) Harvey & family

Unknown said...

Hi, Scott and Susan I just read your latest blog and the news hit first with shock then an overwhelming feeling of confidence that all would be well. I think that I told you about my cousin that has cancer and was given a short time to live (1 year) over 30 years ago. like you his body has just kept the cancer at bay. Only God know why. He decided then that he wasn't going to give it any more attention and has just moved on with his life. He would say take a deep breath and shake it off. Come home and live your lives the way you were. You are both such beautiful people and there is much work to be done. I love and pray for you both. Deb